Dancing

Dancing
Click Here for, DANCING WITH THE WILD BEAST, diary among friends of the Mozambique Bush

Hard Nosed Big Game Hounds

Hard Nosed Big Game Hounds
Click the pic for "The hard Nosed Pack"

Luwire Photographic Safaris

Luwire Photographic Safaris
Looking across the Lugenda from one of the camps

Sunday, May 22, 2011

GELERT, IRISH WOLFHOUND

Dogs are special beings, and for me I try to regard them always in that light. I have owned many, some that still live in my thoughts, some that never amounted to much, possibly my fault cause they are like us in that they take to certain folks better than others. Right now I am blessed with some above average companions, my first Terriers the three Jagds and some really fine young Plott Hounds. This poem and story I came across pained me when I read it and I could feel the insurmountable gloom the man must have felt when he discovered his mistake. Truly I know how he felt for believe it or not I had a nightmare recently about losing one of my Jagds to a wild boar, I guess I'm getting soft in my pilgrimage of years. I've never been as attached to a set of dogs before, maybe it is my age, maybe I have slowed down enough to pay attention? If so, it is a good thing cause I seem to be learning from them, I look forward to what more they will teach me.



GELERT
William Robert Spencer

The spearmen heard the bugle sound,
And cheerily smiled the morn;
And many a brach, and many a hound
Obeyed Llewellyn’s horn.
And still he blew a louder blast,
And gave a lustier cheer,
“Come, Gelert, come, wert never last
Llewellyn’s horn to hear.

“O where does faithful Gelert roam
The flower of all his race;
So true, so brave – a lamb at home,
A lion in the chase?”

In sooth, he was a peerless hound,
The gift of royal John;
But now no Gelert could be found,
And all the chase rode on.

That day Llewellyn little loved
The chase of hart and hare;
And scant and small the booty proved,
For Gelert was not there.

Unpleased, Llewellyn homeward hied,
When, near the portal seat,
His truant Gelert he espied
Bounding his lord to greet.

But when he gained the castle-door,
Aghast the chieftain stood;
The hound all o’er was smeared with gore;
His lips, his fangs, ran blood.

Llewellyn gazed with fierce surprise;
Unused such looks to meet,
His favourite checked his joyful guise,
And crouched, and licked his feet.

Onward, in haste, Llewellyn passed,
And on went Gelert too;
And still, where’er his eyes he cast,
Fresh blood-gouts shocked his view.

Overturned his infant’s bed he found,
With blood-stained covert rent;
And all around the walls and ground
With recent blood besprent.

He called his child – no voice replied -
He searched with terror wild;
Blood, blood he found on every side,
But nowhere found his child.

“Hell-hound! my child’s by thee devoured,”
The frantic father cried;
And to the hilt his vengeful sword
He plunged in Gelert’s side.

Aroused by Gelert’s dying yell,
Some slumberer wakened nigh;
What words the parent’s joy could tell
To hear his infant’s cry!

Concealed beneath a tumbled heap
His hurried search had missed,
All glowing from his rosy sleep
The cherub boy he kissed.

No hurt had he, nor harm, nor dread,
But, the same couch beneath,
Lay a gaunt wolf, all torn and dead,
Tremendous still in death.

Ah, what was then Llewellyn’s pain!
For now the truth was clear;
His gallant hound the wolf had slain
To save Llewellyn’s heir.


2 comments:

Odysseus Trunk said...

Powerful in all ways.

Anonymous said...

i've had the pleasure of having a wolfhound very well breed from two of the greatest US/Canadian kennels for the last 30+ years as they believed that even in this litigious society, they should maintain their protective streak. he would allow most male workers into the house when introduced, but always his body would stay between us. it was sometimes awkward in baths with plumbers trying to explain a problem--he was 39" at the withers, head above 4', 212lbs and 7 1/2' tall on his back legs. one man who filled our oil, he simply did not like. each time he came the man that was about 6'3" would have me in the small furnace room bending this way and that to see this or that on our old furnace. the first time i went down alone, because morgan was simply rumbling in his chest and decided not to truly frighten the man. but he stood too close, touched my arms and shoulders often and made me terribly uncomfortable. the next time, i took the wolfhound. his huge rumbling body was between us, i refused any twister type moves to look at things and said to send out a technician if he thought there was a problem. he mentioned he thought the dog didn't care for him. i answered, 'he does not.' he reached over the dog to touch my shoulder and the wolfhound simply took his wrist in his very substantial maw and would not release him. the man actually had the temerity to suggest i leave the dog upstairs next time to not disturb 'us.' i'm a pretty tough cookie as i was my father's first 'son' & taught me to both box and street fight as well as handle all sorts of weapons & hunt very well, but i've found when out in rough country alone (or in tight places with unknown men) it is good policy to have a very large dog as well. i finally gave him an 'out' command since he was refusing any "release" gestures or verbal commands. that was fine with him, he simply dragged the man with him! i was still inside the doorway, the dogs body across the threshold, the befuddled man was inspecting his arm--nothing. simply indentations and saliva. he did not return. irish wolfhounds are easy to take lightly (once one gets over the shock of the size) as they are quiet and generally easy-going. i had actually been lamenting not having a harder tempered dog until that incident. but they save it for occasions that are warranted and are outstanding judges of character.

Copyright Notice

COPYRIGHT NOTICE: Audwin McGee and Sons of Savages (www.sonsofsavages.com), 2008-2009-2010-2011,2012,2013,2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Sons of Savages with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

About Me

My photo
I’m a Southern Boy, just 56 last November, I get around here and there, Central America, Africa, Red Bay. I’m a Father, Grandfather, Husband, Artist and general flunky of sorts. Live in a little historic town in an old building I remodeled. Just wanted to hear myself think I guess, talk about the need of simplification, show some art, express an interest or two, brag on my dogs and see where it goes. That’s it!, That’s the deal, Thanks